Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Deviled Eggs


Growing up my family wasn't very religious but we always made sure to celebrate Easter.  On the Saturday before Easter my mom and I would decorate what felt like dozens of eggs.  A few eggs wound up in our Easter baskets, but most ended up being used for the deviled eggs we would eat at Easter dinner.  Though I've (mostly) outgrown any interest in decorating eggs, deviled eggs still haven't lost their luster.

If you do a google search for deviled eggs you'll quickly find out that people have put nearly everything from sweet relish to jalapenos in the filling.  While I don't doubt that many of them are quite delicious, they're not what I think of when I think of deviled eggs.  These deviled eggs are like the ones my mom (and I have reason to suspect, your mom) made.  The filling is a smooth and creamy mix of mustard, vinegar, mayo and yolk.. just the way I like 'em.

You'll Need:

12 large eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Tb dijon mustard
1 Tb white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
paprika

Getting Started:

Hard boil 12 eggs.*  Let eggs cool to room temperature and peel.


*When I hard boil eggs I put them in the bottom of a wide pot with a lid and put in just enough water to cover the tops of the eggs.  I turn the heat up to high and once the water has come to a boil I let them boil for 1 minute.  Once the eggs have boiled for 1 minute I turn off the heat and put the lid on the pot.  I let them sit for 15 minutes and then drain the hot water and run cool water over the eggs until they're cool enough to handle.

Now You're Cookin':

Cut eggs in half lengthwise and scoop the yolks into a small bowl.

Arrange egg halves cut side up on a large plate.

Mash yolks with a fork until they're fully crumbled and free of large lumps.


Add mayo, mustard, vinegar, salt and cayenne and stir to combine.


With a piping bag or a spoon fill the recess left by the yolks with the yolk mixture.

Sprinkle the deviled eggs with paprika and refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment